Mom criticized for giving 6-year-old “unicorn” hair

by Unknown , at 16:50 , has 0 nhận xét
  • 1

From rainbow-hued French braids to vibrant purple bobs, Florida hair stylist Mary Thomaston’s Instagram feed is full of photos of the colorful, creative ‘dos she gives her clients.

Her latest work of art, though, has whipped the internet into a bit of a frenzy.

Mary recently shared these photos of her 6-year-old daughter Lyra’s trendy new unicorn hair, writing, “My very own baby unicorn. She’s been wanting this done for awhile now. All her own ideas.”

Instagram: @marythomaston

Instagram: @marythomaston

Instagram: @marythomaston

Instagram: @marythomaston

The initial response to the photos was mixed, with one mom writing, “Oh no I would never let my baby do this til she was at least in high school … My mom was a hair stylist and I was doing my hair super young and ruined it for years and years of dye she can wait til she is older.”

“How long did this little girl have to sit to accomplish that! Why?” asked another. “Sometimes we forget they’re little and not a little doll.”

Mary, clearly a very experienced stylist, was quick to counter any claims of lasting damage to Lyra’s locks, writing, “Don’t worry folks it’ll wash out. She wasn’t harmed in the process. Just putting that out there since some people seem to be having a hard time with me coloring my child’s hair. It’s hair….it’ll grow back!”

She also that she used Manic Panic NYC products – advertised as vegan semi-permanent dyes that contain no harmful chemicals – to create her daughter’s very cool look.

“I have this weird goal of raising self confident, self assured children, who know and feel the freedom of self-expression,” Mary added. “So when my child asks for blue hair, I tell her how much I like her choice and how beautiful she is.”

As the photos began to go viral, plenty of people jumped to Mary’s defense, applauding her for allowing Lyra to express her own creativity.

“Good on you for allowing your daughter’s own beautiful, creative uniqueness to shine! The world needs more non-conformists, like the two of you, who push and break the boundaries,” reads one comment.

For the record, I think Lyra’s rainbow-colored unicorn style is incredible. It’s part mermaid, part magic, and it’s gorgeous. Plus, she’s clearly pretty thrilled about it. It sounds like it was done using safe products, and it’ll eventually wash out, so I really don’t see any harm in it at all.

But I have a 6-year-old daughter too, and had to ask myself: Would I let my 1st grader get such an eye-popping hair style?

I’m almost ashamed to admit that my gut reaction is: No. I wouldn’t.

I guess I am a conformist, to be honest. If there are rules, even unspoken ones, you’ll usually find me well within their confines. Writing that, I do realize that I sound completely boring. I don’t really see it as a character flaw, though. The world needs all kinds, and I’m happy that there is room in it for Mary and for me.

The important thing is, though, that I would never criticize another mom for letting her son or daughter get pink or blue or neon yellow or unicorn or tiger-striped hair. Lyra seems to be a very happy, very loved little girl. And she is rocking that new hairstyle.

So far my girls haven’t been begging me for rainbow-colored hair dye, but that day may very well come. And Lyra’s story will make me think twice about that “no.” Maybe we’ll start with a streak or two, though. Baby steps.

Kudos to Lyra, and to her mom, for letting their creativity shine through.

What do you think? Would you let your kid do this?

See more of Mary Thomaston’s amazing hair color creations on Instagram (@marythomaston).

19 babies that will give you a serious case of hair envy

(Photo: BabyCenter/Kakuna)

(Photo: BabyCenter/kann28)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Heddafish)

(Photo: BabyCenter/watwat)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Pharmd212)

(Photo: BabyCenter/JSFoster9)

(Photo: BabyCenter/lorihanifan)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Starsvanished)

(Photo: BabyCenter/lucasnchase)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Lolanana1)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Kimberlyablanchard)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Jenny111111)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Hanson37)

(Photo: BabyCenter/isntClovely)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Gryphon84)

(Photo: BabyCenter/Bunzz4r00)

(Photo: BabyCenter/GZHmommy)

(Photo: BabyCenter/CaptainProton)

(Photo: BabyCenter/ashley_jt)

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply