When your miscarriage goes viral: “I’d rather have her here”

by Unknown , at 10:50 , has 0 nhận xét
  • 1
  • 1

Curtis Wiklund has a gift, in the form of art, and grief over his wife’s recent miscarriage. When these two things are put together, powerful words and images result.

Take a look at the sketch this dad recently shared on Facebook with the following words:

Curtis Wiklund miscarriage

“This was the day we found out we miscarried. It’s strange to share because it’s such a quiet thing. Most don’t talk about it. I just didn’t know what else to do, but draw on that day. It more accurately journaled how I felt than anything I could write.

I hope by sharing it, those others out there who are quietly hurting, some far worse than we are, are comforted knowing at least, that you are not alone.”

miscarriage Curtis Wiklund

Quickly, Curtis and his wife Jordin found out they were far from alone. Thousands of people reacted to his post, many sharing their own stories of loss, and news outlets from ABC to Today came calling. In a way, that’s what they wanted, but it also still hurts.

Speaking about going viral, Curtis told BabyCenter:

Last night, as we were thinking about these questions and grieving all over Jordin said, “As painful as it is to relive the experience each time we do an interview, I do not regret sharing the image.”

“I love that her life has meaning. Look at what she’s done. In her little life, her story is comforting literally thousands of grieving parents around the world.” Then Jordin started crying. “But I would rather have her here, with me.”

At the ultrasound, Jordin had a distinct feeling that our baby was a girl. We named her Ellie. It was a favorite name of ours, that we were saving for a girl. We decided to give it to her, and Jordin looked up its meaning. Ellie means “God is my light.” This was perfect for her and for us. We cling to the hope that we will have much more time with her after this life. As painful as it is to not have her here, we know life is short and what comes after is longer.”

Many thanks to Curtis and Jordin for so openly sharing their lives with us. You’re welcome to connect with him via Facebook and drawings365.com.

 

More of Curtis’ endearing drawings:

- what should I draw?

- us.

All images and captions shared with permission from Curtis Wiklund.

We’re pregnant. I have a feeling more drawings will be coming.

Tonight, my wife and I had a long list of things to get done. Instead, we sat on the couch, she read to me, I played guitar for a while, and then I drew a picture… in fact the first drawing on here since finishing the 365 project! In my opinion, these were all better alternatives than “the list." And I like to let my feet float up in the air while lying on the couch. Don’t know why. Sometimes I do it with my hands too.

My Valentine.

Venice, someday.

Last night, Jordin had a dream of what our first baby would look like. I played the police artist and drew her mug shot before she lost the image from her mind. Dark eyes and dark hair, where’s that going to come from?! (she’s holding a sippy cup)

Did a lot of laughing today.

Cold season.

I wonder what my younger self would have thought if someone told me the girl on my tee-ball team would be my wife.

What would your 6-yr-old self say if he/she could see you today?

We watched “Mao’s Last Dancer” tonight. Feeling inspired, I’m pretty sure this is what we looked like before bed.

Budgeting.

Snowboard goggles and onions.

Will you still love me when I look like this?

This parenting thing feels like we’re climbing up a new mountain every single day. But baby we’re doing it! And there’s no one in the world I’d rather be doing it with.

You’re still my valentine.

Climbing Mt. Daddy.

Heads are heavy.

Budgeting.

I love her so much.

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply