Long-lost note from Steve Irwin to his parents uncovered

by Unknown , at 16:48 , has 0 nhận xét
  • 1

 

At 32, “The Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin sat down with a pen and paper to write to his parents.

Now, as the 10-year anniversary of his September 4, 2006 passing approaches, Steve’s father Bob is sharing the note with fans of his family worldwide.

The note reads:

“Dear Dad & Mum,

Probably one of the most unfortunate things in a ‘Bloke’s Life’ is that it takes over 30 years to realize how essential you have been to build my character, my ethics and, most importantly, my HAPPINESS.

At 32, I am finally starting to figure it out. In good times and in bad, you were there. Your strength and endurance to raise me will not go unrewarded. My love for you is my strength!

For the rest of my life I will reflect on the unbelievably GREAT times we’ve shared and will continue to share. You’re my best friends!

Thank you,

Steve.”

Bindi Irwin 18

Although written in 1998, Bob only discovered the previously-unopened letter earlier this year. On the envelope was this brief message from his lost son: “Please be happy to know that your strength and wisdom have been passed on.”

Bindi Irwin (pictured here celebrating her recent 18th birthday with her mom and brother) was 8 when Steve was killed by a stingray. Her brother Robert was just 2.

After reading Steve’s sweet words I have to wonder if he stashed the letter away on purpose so that it could be found at a later date, or if it was accidentally misplaced. Either way, it must have been shocking for his parents to find.

I, too, have written “just in case” letters to my husband and children a handful of times over the years. The act is often accompanied by a flood of tears, and then I tuck them away — but eventually I second-guess myself and get rid of them. Part of me is interested in leaving parting words, but I also fear coming across differently than I intended. What if I get it wrong and they’re left with that one last letter forever?

Currently I don’t have any letters stashed away, but that doesn’t mean I won’t try writing them again some day. I suppose I just wish there was a way to know if family members truly were pleased to find such notes or if they’re more upsetting than anything else.

Have you ever written a “just in case” letter or received one? How did it go?

Share here

Photos: PR Photos, Claudia Baxter/Newspix/REX/Shutterstock

 

Steve Irwin’s letter reminds me of another famous dad who found a new perspective with fatherhood. Take a look:

 

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply