Astoundingly sturdy baby gear that we’re still using for kid #3

by Unknown , at 05:48 , has 0 nhận xét

My husband and I waited 5 years to start our family, and in that time many of our close relatives began questioning if we could have children. I even was given an offer of surrogacy at one point. But when we got pregnant on our own instead, instead of womb-space, my cousin gave us her gently used baby gear instead: a crib, a Jeep umbrella stroller, a double stroller, an activity center, a jump-a-roo, and a breast pump.

I share that because some of that baby gear is well into its fifth cycle of use, lasting through her three kids as well as my two girls — and ready to take on my third child, currently being baked.

Would you like to have similarly long-lasting gear? If so, I recommend buying the things you hope will last for more than one child in gender-neutral shades. Here are a few items that have stood the test of time for us. The list is by no means exhaustive and I’d love hear what you’ve bought and seen last through multiple children and families.

A good umbrella stroller is worth the extra dollars. My husband and I went on a hike to Multnomah Falls once and saw not one, but two abandoned $15 strollers at various points on the path. A good stroller like this Kolcraft Cloud Umbrella stroller will save you $$ and a hunched back. (Amazon, $48.99)

This is our tried-and-true Jeep Umbrella Stroller. It's traveled to many places because it's so durable, lightweight, and compact. It's a great item that's stood the test of time in our family and our extended family. It's currently unavailable for sale online, so keep an eye out for used models at baby or thrift stores, or claim discarded strollers from friends or family.

Nursing pillows like the Boppy pictured above are great for the first six months or so. Using a water resistant slipcover makes the Boppy fairly indestructible. The various slipcover options also make it easy to switch out gender specific ones or just freshen things up for the next baby. (Target, $39.99)

This is our Boppy in action. I got 2 slipcovers when I had my first daughter and obviously didn't need to change anything up with my second. We'll see if we should get a little boy blue option with this next baby.

A Pack 'n Play has been helpful for trips to Grandma's house, yurt camping, and when I need a spare spot to lay my daughter down if her shared room is otherwise occupied. I've also seen this used as a helpful toddler barrier. (Target, $99.99)

Here is our gently used Pack 'n Play. It was actually used this weekend by a family staying with us with their 2-year-old girl. They said it was a lifesaver!

I am a fan of baby carriers that are easy to use and stick around for a long time. Since my children grow quickly I began thinking about baby carriers when I could still try and eke out some use for my firstborn. The Toddler Tula, which has a high back and generous shoulder padding, worked well for her, for my second-born, and for us. (Tula Baby Carrier, $169)

Here is my oldest at age 2 3/4 with her Dad and my youngest, Evie, 1. I'll be able to use it for Evie for quite a while until baby #3 is ready for it. I like to use a simple to use Baby K'tan wrap for the first few months before transitioning into a buckle carrier.

We have an activity center that has been passed back and forth between us and our cousins. It's lost a couple pieces, but it's still in working order. It's a great place to plop your kiddo before they can walk because they quickly figure out how to navigate their way around the table. It's also entertaining for older kiddos and takes up less space once they can walk. (Target, $89.99)

This activity center has served us well. I was getting dinner done on a regular basis while Evie played until she learned that she could walk and drag the whole center behind her when she wanted to get into things. Then we had to rethink the seat, but that was super easy to detach and suddenly we had a "new" toy.

Photo credits: Tre Wilbanks, Kelly Wilbanks

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply