5 iPad apps to help preschoolers kill summer boredom

by Unknown , at 04:49 , has 0 nhận xét

My children, like many others, are on the go, go, go all summer long. On Monday you might find us at the local sprayground, Tuesday picking strawberries at the farm, and by Friday we’re at the beach, soaking up the sun and building sandcastles. We need some downtime after all those activities, and I, as a working mom without school hours to rely on during the summer, need some time each day to work.

I’ve made an effort to find some great iPad apps to help my preschoolers kill summer boredom while still learning something. They get a bit of screen time while I get to catch up on my work. I admit it can be hard to get my children to put the iPads down when time is up, so we set some ground rules for all TV and electronics.

1. Friday night is movie night. We make popcorn and snuggle on the couch to watch a movie. This way the kids know that there is TV time each week but they need to wait for Friday to have it.

2. They can use their iPads for 30 minutes each day. They only get their iPads occasionally during the school year, but in the summer I need a little break. This has become essential as my children have dropped their naps. When the timer goes off, they must hand the iPads back right away or they lose their privileges for the next day.

3. If we are going on a road trip, they may have free reign over their tablets after 4 hours in the car. I feel it’s unfair to ask kids to entertain themselves for more than 4 hours in a car when they’re trapped in a tight car seat and can’t see well out the car windows yet.

4. Realistically, there are times when I need them to watch a show so I can do something. If they wake up before 6:30 AM they may watch one TV show so I can shower or finish my workout. This is a year round rule that has saved me on some very early mornings.

I know I’m not a perfect parent, but I’m doing my best. Those rules work for our family and we adapt them as needed.

My favorite iPad apps teach my preschoolers while they have fun. Here they are:

1. Handwriting Without Tears (iTunes, $4.99)

This app helps your child work on his fine motor skills while practicing writing letters. You first watch the letter being written, then you trace it with various tools like chalk and water. When you complete each letter successfully you earn stars and a picture.

The preschooler says: "I love to get all my stars and picture with each letter. I have to go in order of the alphabet because I'm so excited to see what picture I can get next."

2. Dino Chess (iTunes, $4.99)

Dino Chess teaches your child what each chess piece does. It then has you play games with each piece to practice. Finally, it puts the pieces together and teaches you how to play a complete game. While my son doesn't understand strategy yet, thanks to this app he is able to move each piece appropriately and play a full "game" with me.

The preschooler says: "I can play chess now because the dinosaur showed me all the pieces. The horse is a tricky one because he can only make an L. I like to win the game against the hard dinosaur because I'm the winner."

3. Endless ABC (iTunes, $8.99)

Children drag letters to a word like a puzzle. When the word is completed an animation demonstrates what the word means. The words go beyond a normal preschooler's vocabulary. As you drag each letter to the word the letter makes its sound. For example "m" says "ma, ma, ma, ma" as you move it. My children learn what each letter sound is while also expanding their vocabulary.

The preschooler says: "This game is like a show because the letter becomes real and shows you what it means. I like the letter "s" best because it sounds like a snake. My sister is only 3 but she likes this game too."

4. Monkey Preschool Lunchbox (iTunes, $1.99)

This app has lots of little interactive games as you help the monkey pack his lunchbox. It helps teach letter recognition and also includes puzzles, matching game and counting.

The preschooler says: "I love to play this one because you get a sticker when you do a good job, and they have funny stickers too. I like playing the matching game best because I have to remember what's hiding under each card."

5. Counting Caterpillar (iTunes, $1.99)

Once your child masters the basics of counting with this app, you can customize the setting so your child can practice counting by 2's, 5's and 10's. When you successfully complete each caterpillar you earn a butterfly.

The preschooler says "This game is so pretty and I love it because I know how caterpillars turn into butterflies. And in this game when you make a caterpillar you get a butterfly!"

Aside from the apps shared above, we also have a basic drawing app, the YouTube Kids app, and a few Disney movies we’ve downloaded over the years.

When they’ve had enough screen time but I’m not ready to leave the house yet, I often set up little trays for the kids. I call them invitations to play. The children call them projects. One day it might be kid scissors with ribbon, straws, foil and cardboard. Another day it might be some little animal figurines and some green grass Play-Doh. Whatever is on the tray, it works to entertain. I can buy at least another 45 minutes that way.

And if all else fails, head outside. That’s what summer is for anyway, right?

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply