Why stay-at-home moms with multiple kids are happiest

by Unknown , at 22:49 , has 0 nhận xét

Ever wonder what stay-at-home moms are really like? Well, it turns out that those with four of more kids are the happiest, according to a Redbook.com survey.

The online magazine studied the lives of 558 stay-at-home and work-at-home moms and found that the role of being a SAHM has changed. It’s not just parenting anymore. There’s actually a lot more that goes into being at home with children – hence the title, WAHM.

More than half of the SAHMs interviewed for the survey contribute to their household income, with 25 percent running a business from home. When asked why they decided to remain home, 36 percent simply said because they wanted to, 15 percent said that childcare isn’t affordable, 7 percent said that their careers were not conducive to family life, and 6 percent claim that their partner wanted them to quit working outside of the home.

Whatever the reason, it’s evident that these moms are putting their time at home to good use. From milking goats and substitute teaching to playing tennis and doing DIY projects, each mom specializes in something.

It just goes to show that there’s something to be said about how much the role of being a stay-at-home mom is evolving. Now moms are taking matters into their own hands by parenting on their own terms, which is probably why they’re the happiest.

The survey is based on moms with four or more children. But even though I’m a mom of two small kids, I can honestly say that I am a lot happier since quitting my full-time job.

After feeling overwhelmed with guilt for not being able to spend time with my family, my husband and I came to the conclusion that me being home would be the best thing for our family.

Even though I was terrified about this new venture, I knew it was the right thing to do. I may not have four or more kids as the study mentions, but I might as well have a house filled with kids. Our 2-year-old son and 5-year-old daughter keep me on my toes. At times it gets a bit busy, but I enjoy it.

stay-at-home-mom1

It’s crazy how some people ask the question: “What do stay-at-home moms do all day?” The reality is SAHMs do a lot. I recently had this conversation with a couple of my closest childhood friends who are also mothers of multiple children.

New Jersey mom of five, Cristina Spann, says she agrees with the article. “With every additional child, it seems as if I gain more confidence in myself – which in turn makes me happier.” She adds that although she doesn’t get asked what she does all day, Cristina says that people often question her choice to home school her kids and ask whether they’re able to socialize with other children.

North Carolina mom Renee Belgrave says that she’s enjoyed being home with her four children. “Nurturing the kids, being their primary teacher, reinforcing values and sheltering them in those early years were important to me,” she explains.

She also mentions how important it’s been for her to have a flexible schedule that’s allowed her to volunteer outside of the home. “I want my children to see that making a positive change or impression in this world means being hands on and active in the community,” she adds.

stay-at-home-mom

It all boils down to making informed decisions that benefit your family. Since losing a full-time salary, my husband and I have found ways to cut back and supplement our household income. Whether blogging from home or chipping in as a fill in meteorologist, I’m able to contribute to our finances. It’s not a perfect situation, but I’m definitely much happier.

Do you agree with the survey? Are SAHMs with multiple kids happiest?

Comments


Photos: Thinkstock

Stacy-Ann Gooden (aka Weather Anchor Mama) can be seen delivering the weather forecast on the news in New York City. But her most important role is being a wife and mom. She writes about balancing career and motherhood in her blog, Weather Anchor Mama. You can also follow her on twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply