Baby names moms just aren’t brave enough to use

by Unknown , at 16:49 , has 0 nhận xét

If there were a guarantee you’d never get a side-eye glance or snide comment about your baby’s name, what would you choose?

Moms over at BabyCentre UK have been talking about the baby names they love but weren’t brave enough to follow through on choosing, and I adore quite a few of their selections. That being said, I also can understand some of their reasonings for going another route.

Take a look at some of what they shared in a recent post.

For the girls…

“Tiger-Lily. Love the name but it’s too celeb-style!”

“I like Indie Meadow, Thora blossom, Indigo Skye, Thea Renee, and Azzura Riva. My partner’s not keen but I’d definitely use them if it was just my choice!”

“I love Renesmee from Twilight.”

“Leonora… but only because our surname is Leonova!”

“I loved Scout from To Kill A Mockingbird but wasn’t brave enough to use it.”

“Daenerys! My husband would never let me.”

“I love Persephone but I’ll be going for something simpler.”

“I like Delilah, Talulah, Dolly and Dixie, but everyone looks at me as if I’m crazy.”

“Always loved the name Skye but then I married my husband with a last name Walker.”

“When I was pregnant I dreamt it was twins called Miles and Liberty. It did turn out to be twins and I managed to talk my husband into Miles but he wasn’t having Liberty for a minute.”

Children Sitting On Bed In Pajamas Together

For the boys…

“I have always loved the name Lysander, from A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Definitely not brave enough for that!”

“Strider, from Lord of the Rings.”

“I wanted to use Ryker but my husband didn’t like it.”

“Casper. I love it but I’m sure my child would get bullied at school.”

“Hector, Agamemnon, Corinthian or Atticus.”

“Anakin, like in Star Wars, but my husband would kill me!”

“Pippin. I would love to name my boy it but kids are cruel – as are some parents!”

“We liked Ace or Jet for a boy, but sadly we’re not rockstars!”

“I think Sherlock is really cool for a boy.”

“My daughter is currently at school with a boy called Lorcan. Heard it, loved it, suggested it to my partner, and was shot down in flames.”

“Felix or Lucien for a boy, my partner would definitely veto them!”

“I love Forrest, but couldn’t shout ‘Run Forest, run’ on sports day.”

Ok, that last quote literally made me chuckle out loud. Maybe not all Forrests want to be track stars? As the parent of two kids who love to run though, I certainly can see what they’re saying!

When my husband and I first found out we were expecting a boy he kept throwing the name Tristan into the ring. The truth is I don’t hate the sound of it, but the tie to Legends of the Fall was just too strong for me to get past. I felt it was a bit like shouting to the world, “WE LOVE HUNKY ROMANCE MOVIES.” I couldn’t get past the idea the name had an Fabio-like connotation.

If we’d had a girl, I secretly have always loved the name Azure. I think it’s unique and love that it means sky blue — but Azure McGinnis? Sky blue Irish, anyone? The combination just makes me cringe, and even if it didn’t I don’t know if I would have been brave enough to pick something so unusual.

What can I say? We’re not generally out-there people in our day-to-day lives. We tend to blend.

What baby names were you not brave enough to pick? How come?

Please, do tell!

Photos: Thinkstock

 

Lovely baby names that have been tainted by their pop culture ties:

 

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply