17 hilarious confessions that prove “baby brain” is very real

by Unknown , at 16:48 , has 0 nhận xét
  • 1

We’ve all heard of “baby brain,” that rumored mental downward spiral that seems to start in pregnancy and continue long after the baby is born.

While scientific proof of this syndrome has yet to be nailed down, anecdotal evidence is easy to come by. And it’s often pretty hilarious.

A stay-at-home dad recently asked on the social media site Reddit, “Anyone else feel like their IQ has dropped since having babies?”

Judging from the more than 200 responses his question received, he is definitely not alone. Take a look at some of our favorites and see if any of them sound familiar to you:

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Source: Reddit

Oh, I can absolutely relate.

Indecision? Check! My first was born pre-Netflix, and it once took me so long to choose a movie at the DVD rental store that my husband actually came in to make sure I hadn’t passed out or something. He found me near tears trying to decide between some rom-com and a Jason Bourne installment. We left with no movie at all.

Short term memory loss? Check! It’s astounding how fast information leaves my brain, if it manages to get in there at all. When I meet someone new, their name leaves their lips and then just seems to float away before I can grasp it. I try. I see it coming and try to catch hold, but nope. Gone. “Oh, hi… Sorry, what was your name again?”

Using the wrong words? Well, I still recall the time I opened my mouth to say goodbye to a store cashier but instead wished her “sweet dreams.” So yes, check!

Before having children I was a voracious reader. I used to read a novel a week. It took me years after having my first baby before I could read a book again. It wasn’t just that I lacked the time – I lacked the focus. I’d pick one up, stare at the same paragraph for 15 minutes, put it down and have no clue what it had been about. This is thankfully starting to get better. I joined a book club with some friends and, provided the book isn’t too long or too complicated I can get through it and even contribute somewhat to the discussions. Well, except for last month, when I inadvertently read the wrong book all together. (See the part about short term memory loss above.)

So yes, I know all about pregnancy and baby brain. And big kid brain, too, because unfortunately it seems to stick around in one form or another for years.

Is it really all that surprising, though? First there’s the hormones, then comes the stress and sleep deprivation. Add to that the fact that you’re suddenly entirely consumed by things like diaper changes and potty training and permission slips, not to mention that 90% of your conversations are held with small children. Is it any wonder we’re not quite up for War and Peace?

Have you been hit by baby brain? Tell us how!

Funny Tweets that pretty much nail parenting:

Photo: Thinkstock

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply