Gwyneth Paltrow fears young girls are being brainwashed

by Unknown , at 10:48 , has 0 nhận xét

Gwyneth Paltrow is finding it terribly difficult to raise a daughter in the modern world.

The actress, who is mom to 12-year-old daughter Apple (and 10-year-old son Moses), recently opened up about wanting to let her daughter express herself but not be too provocative.

The Daily Mail notes Gwyneth “is concerned young girls are being brainwashed by ‘post-feminist imagery’ that portrays provocative behaviour as empowerment.”

Speaking at the China Exchange in London on Thursday, the 43-year-old said:

“It is concerning because I think there is a very denigrating set of imagery and behaviours happening. Women are so powerful and so capable and to have it inferred that you have to generate yourself in any way to be likeable is abhorrent to me. With my daughter I try to find a balance of being an example for her as a woman who … works and tries not to go out in public naked.”

Gwyneth Paltrow daughter Apple

Regarding Apple, Gwyneth Paltrow went on to say:

“I am her mum but at the same time I want her to express herself. Sometimes it is hard when she is wearing something really, really short and a lot of make-up and I have to resist the instinct as I want her to experiment and find her own identity. It is an interesting balance right now being a mother of a coming-of-age girl as there are a lot of conflicting messages in our culture.”

And though I’m not a mom to any daughters, I’m totally feeling Gwyneth on this one. Where the heck is the line between being free to express yourself and going overboard?

In general, I believe women should look and dress however they like, but in practice it’s a bit more complicated. A grown adult who’s showing a lot I can simply ignore, but a tween? All of a sudden there’s a whole mixture of feelings brewing up.

The fear, I think, is that young girls are getting the message showing off their bodies means they’re empowered. Body confidence is an important aspect of life, but there’s so much more to it all. Everyone’s body changes over time, but knowing you’re smart, or creative, or any number of other attributes builds in a lasting way from the inside out.

All I know for sure is I get what Gwyneth is saying. It’s complicated.

What do you make of Gwyneth Paltrow’s thoughts on empowerment and young girls’ choices?

Share here

Photos: Richard Young/REX/Shutterstock

 

Here’s a look at the actress with daughter Apple, in our gallery of celebrity moms and daughters:

0 nhận xét Add a comment
Bck
Cancel Reply